Thursday, September 20, 2012

Seed To The Sower

We live on a pretty tight budget.  Sometimes being on a tight budget can really be hard.  It’s especially hard when you see opportunities for ministry (read: giving money to a worthy cause), and have to decline because there is no more wiggle room in the budget.  To be honest I started to feel really condemned for not being able to do certain things.  Then God gave me a rare opportunity. 

After combining two households a year ago, and then separating those two households again, I found myself drowning in a pile of stuff.  I hate clutter.  I also hate having a yard sale.  So I posted on Freecycle that I had a few end tables to give away.  (Freecycle is a Yahoo group that you can join and offer things for FREE, or ask for things for FREE when in need.)

Within 5 minutes of posting a lady called and wanted to know if she could come and get the tables.  She came by with her 3 children.  My heart broke for them.  You could tell they had all been through a LOT, and it had been bad.  Long story short, she’d fled an abusive relationship and had moved here from her home state to start over, with nothing but their clothes and her car.

I rather timidly said  something like “hey I have all of this stuff I’m going to get rid of if you want any of it”.   With the kids and the end tables shoved in the car, she couldn’t get anything else in there, so she asked if she could come back the next day while the kids were at school.

The next day she did return and spent about 45 minutes going through things that I’d forgotten we had.  I kept hearing her whisper these little comments like “oh God”…”I can’t believe this”…”oh my God”.

When we finished loading boxes into her car she thanked me, and gave me a big hug and started to cry.  Then she said “You don’t understand.  I just did my Christmas shopping out of your basement.  You had things that my kids had to leave behind.  You had a Dora doll!  I can make my kids cupcakes now, because I have a muffin tin.”  Yeah, so I’m blubbering at this point.

I was able to share with her about God while we stood there.  I shared about His love, faithfulness, provision and protection, and how He cares about little things like a Dora doll.

She left with a car load of “stuff”, but I think I received the bigger blessing.  As she was driving away, God reminded me of His Word.

2 Corinthians 9:10 Now he that ministers seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;

The New Living Translation words it like this

2 Corinthians 9:10 For God is the one who provides seed for the farmer and then bread to eat. In the same way, he will provide and increase your resources and then produce a great harvest of generosity in you.

That’s what I call a good day!

1 comment:

Jolanthe Erb said...

This just makes my heart so very happy - how God knows what others need and provides. :)