Sunday, July 5, 2009

July 4th!

We had a lovely July 4th weekend. Saturday the weather was incredible, it was mid 80's and little to no humidity. We spent most of the day outside, having water gun fights, working in the garden and having the typical fare of grilled hot dogs, hamburgers and macaroni salad and chips.

Our zucchini have gone wild (I believe I've mentioned this before). Between this morning and yesterday we've harvested 7 more of these remarkable veggies. We've sent several off to be consumed by friends and family and we'll be having grilled zucchini, yellow squash, onions and peppers tonight for dinner.

Oh, and we had our first official "lets camp out in the backyard" event this weekend!



As you can see, this is NOT a large tent. I bought it probably 15 years ago while I traveled with my brother working in motorcycle ministry. It's a single sleeper....but it is very cozy (personal space did NOT exist) when you cram two adults and two children in it. Our yard is steep...very steep. However, the tent did NOT roll down the hill during the night. My husband and I did manage to roll into far corners of the tent and get wedged there as the kids sprawled out and took up all the room in the center.

We made our first trek to the city park for the fireworks show last night. It was a wonderful show, 25 minutes of unstopping explosions of color and sound. Leaving was 1.5 hours of UNMOVING bumper to bumper traffic. (Did I mention we live within walking distance of this park?) So executive decision, next year we walk down and walk back.

Today is cool and rainy. We all slept in this morning, until after 9am, unheard of in our world! We had homemade sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast this morning with fresh tomatoes mmmmm....good eating!

Tomorrow will be back to the routine...I should work on lesson plans for the week. Maybe I'll take a nap first, so my brain is working at maximum capacity. :grins:

No comments: