Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Urban Dairy



I know a lot of you have larger families than we do. We have only two children. Two children who LOVE milk. So we go through a LOT of the stuff. Being a one income family, I cut costs where I can. So I had several options looming before me on the milk front, 1) buy a cow; 2) stop drinking milk; 3) powdered milk.

Now I know, that to some of you, the thought of number 3 above is probably the least appealing of those scenarios. However, I've found that powdered milk, that has been REFRIGERATED prior to drinking tastes just like skim milk. Please note I said REFRIGERATED; that is the key, do not drink it at room temp or at tap water temp, just sayin'.

A 4lb. box will make 20 quarts (5 gallons). I use the Martins store brand and it costs me $11.19 (costs may vary in your location). The beauty to it, besides the lower costs is that I don't have to store several gallons of milk in the fridge, nor do I have to make milk runs to the store during the week (which inevitably causes needless spending on something else that jumps in the cart mysteriously of its own free will).

So there you have it folks, a little something that's definitely working for me in more ways than one!

Head on over to We Are THAT Family for more Works For Me Wednesday!

5 comments:

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

Hmmm, we too go through a TON of milk but I don't know if I can take the plunge. Good tip though!

Joesette said...

You could try mixing it half and half until you get used to it...if you slowly wean yourselves you won't notice the difference.

Thanks for stopping by!

groovie mom said...

Don't tell anyone, but when we start running low on the real stuff, I add in some powdered milk to stretch the carton until I can get to the store again.

Joesette said...

frugal and sneaky...I like it!

kcmom2four said...

I love the Hillbilly Housewife and her frugal ideas. She uses powdered milk and as a mom of 4 kiddos I decided to get a box to try. We don't use it all the time but no one even says anything when the milk appears in a pitcher instead of a jug. Amazing. I thought for sure they would notice the difference. I even told them the jug was leaking that first go round. Now I don't even bother.