Thursday, August 7, 2014

Reclaiming Our Home–Punky Brewster’s Room

Lindsey has earned the nick-name of “Punky” as in “Punky Brewster”.  If you grew up in the 80’s, you know what I’m talking about.   Once you see her room, you’ll understand why the name suits her.

The entire Reclaiming Our Home thing has taken on a life of it’s own.  After removing the door that went from the kitchen into Lindsey’s room, I was forced to paint her room.  It wasn’t on my list for the summer, but it had to be done.  See what I mean?

009

Interestingly enough, I also found out, that after 6 years of living here…Lindsey hates yellow.  Who knew?

She picked a lively color of paint called “Watermelon Splash”.  Can’t you just see the glee in her face?

005

This is a wow kind of color.  She loves it.

009

The room had to be done in stages.  First we completed the “Watermelon Splash”, and let it dry for a couple of days.  The waiting process looked like this.

014

I then realized that the new wall didn’t look as good on this side as it did on the kitchen side.   The husband said let it go…but that’s just not how I roll.   I then broke out the electric sander.

002

The electric sander created a lovely pink dust cloud that landed on every single thing in the room.   It was just oh.so.fun cleaning that up, not.  I washed the walls down, and the floor, and the dresser…you get the point.  But it looked MUCH better after it was repainted.

Then we added some “Fashion Flame” circles, because really this room needs more color, right?

016

Lindsey helped to trace the circles onto the wall.  We used the largest mixing bowl I own for this step.   Then came the time consuming job of taping off each circle.

018

A little “Fashion Flame”….and tada!

022

024025

The circles were then painted with dry erase.  Two weeks from now there will be writing on the walls.    Grins.