Thursday, April 3, 2014

Time to Start Planting!

This week I finally sat down and worked on planting my seeds for this years garden.   I planted acorn and butternut squash, ambrosia cantaloupes, black crim tomatoes, chocolate cherry tomatoes and ole Carolina yellow tomatoes.

Like I told you last week, my plan was to use toilet paper tubes, and I really did it, go me!  First I cut 4 slits in one end of the tube, and then folded them in on each other and added a little piece of tape to hold it in place.

040
Then I used my handy dandy Sharpie to label each tube.  It’s a lot easier if you do the labeling BEFORE you put the dirt in, trust me on this, ahem.

039Then fill each one about 2/3 full of potting soil or whatever type of dirt you prefer, push a few seeds in and cover with more dirt, and in just a few minutes you have this…

042

I used a recycled cake box from the grocery store to keep everything contained.  Then I watered these all pretty heavily then placed the lid on it and sat it in the sun for a bit, sort of a little mini-greenhouse.

043

While these seeds got all toasty, I started a few herb pots as well.  Cilantro, sage, dill and chives will be new additions to my garden this year.  Well, cilantro was here last year, but someone harvested it off of my front porch…I was not amused.

045

All the little soon to be plants then moved into their lovely new home by the front door.   This location gets the direct morning sun, and stays bright all day.

046

Hopefully, in 6-8 weeks I’ll have healthy little seedlings ready to move outside, and hopefully it’ll be safe to do so then.

Linking up with the Hearts to Home Blog Hop.

No comments: