Thursday, March 27, 2014

Preparing to Garden

The weather here has been crazy for months now.  Just this past weekend we were in the 70’s (again) and by Tuesday we have 5 inches of new snow on the ground (again).   However, I’m determined to do something garden related, despite the weather.

This week I went through my seeds and picked out the cool weather crops that I hope to get in the ground in the next week or two.  I also picked out seeds that I’ll be starting indoors.  This should be happening this weekend.

005

My cool weather crops consist of:

Lettuces (several types)
Onions
Spinach
Cabbage
Beets
Carrots

I’ll start my sage, dill, cilantro and chives in pots inside as well.

For my squashes, cantaloupes, and tomatoes I’ll be starting as seeds indoors for transplant.  My handy dandy stash of toilet paper rolls will be used for this.  Yes seriously.     I’ll cut and fold the bottoms of the rolls over to form a nice little bottom, and then fill with soil and plant the seeds. 

007

The toilet paper tubes will then be moved to the garden when ready.   They’ll make nice little biodegradable planters, and I won’t need to disturb the plant root systems. 

Genius, right?   Well, at leas I hope so.  I’ll keep you posted on how that all works out in the end.

Linking up with Hearts at Home Blog Hop.

2 comments:

Nicole T said...

I'm going to get my cool weather planted on Sunday because we are FINALLY going to have a 70 degree day!

Awesome idea with the toilet paper tubes. Totally stealing that idea for next year!!

Joesette Huffman said...

I'll try to post photos along of how the seedlings do in the TP rolls....so if it's a flop, you'll know before next year!

Thanks for stopping by!