Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Trim Healthy Mama–The First Month

Back in April, my best friend, Donna, bought  a copy of the book Trim Healthy Mama for me as a gift.   Ladies, you KNOW only your best friend can get away with buying you a book about losing weight and not get whacked with the book.  Grins.

So I read the book, all 600+ pages of it.  Then I reread it, and marked some recipes that sounded relatively edible.  Yeah, I wasn’t feeling it.

005

Then I waited for several months.   The reason being there were a few items on the “must have” list that I just couldn’t work into my budget (well, I COULD, I just didn’t want to bad enough).

Finally I broke down and ordered some whey powder, glucomannan and Nu-Naturals Pure White Stevia Powder.   Let me just say up front that I don’t care for the glucomannan.  It’s a thickener, but it makes things slick/slimy and I don’t care for that feeling in my mouth.   I also realized I don’t like the Nu-Naturals Pure White Stevia Powder, as it has an aftertaste that I’d rather not mess with.   The whey seems ok in drinks.   I did find that Truvia doesn’t have the aftertaste, but its also not as sweet as sugar, so I have to use a lot more of it than most of the recipes call for.

Having said all of that, I started to eat using the Trim Healthy Mama plan on September 23, 2013.  In the first two weeks I was down 13 pounds ya’ll!  Yes, THIRTEEN!!   More importantly, I was feeling better.  My joints weren’t hurting all the time and I had more energy.  Week three I hit a plateau, but it was “that week”, so I knew there would be water weight gain, so I wasn’t worried about it.  

This is where it all went awry. Thursday morning of “that week” I woke up unable to swallow, at all.   After a trip to the doctor on Friday, I came home with a confirmed, horrible case of strep that landed me in bed for several days, and unable to eat solids (or many liquids) for the next 7 days. 

I don’t get sick, EVER.  This was the first time I’ve gone to the doctor for being sick since before my kids were born.  On a funny side note, I’m one of those moms who keeps going no.matter.what.   That Thursday when I woke up I had a fever over 104, and I was too sick to get up, other than to crawl to the bathroom.  The kids tended to themselves all day.  When my husband came home from work Thursday evening he asked the girls where I was and one of them responded “She never got out of bed today.”    He panicked, he thought I’d…”expired” in my sleep.  At the time, it wasn’t funny as he came charging into the room in total freak out mode and woke me from a fevered, fitful sleep.  It’s funny now, at least to me.

Anyway, during those 7 days of non-eating and little drinking I lost another 9 pounds, for a total of 22 pounds lost in 3 weeks.   This week, I have no appetite and nothing has any flavor at all, so I’m still not eating much.  I plan to get back on track this week (after I go grocery shopping).

I’m chalking up the 22 pounds to the Trim Healthy Mama eating style.   I won’t credit them with my being sicker than ever before.   I’ll keep you posted on the 2nd months progress.

Also be on the look for some new recipes that I’ll be sharing.

1 comment:

Jolanthe Erb said...

The image of your hubby rushing to your room in a panic is sweet and funny all at the same time. :)


And woot for you!!!! {hope you feel better soon!}