Saturday, April 6, 2013

Spring in the Garden

I’m way behind on my spring gardening work.   In my defense, the sudden snow storms in late March, and early April haven’t helped.  Just this past week we had snow, sleet and freezing rain and then boom, 70 degrees the next day!  Every time I think it’s safe to start working outside the weather goes all wonky on me.

Last week, I was able to get out into the side flower beds and get all the of leaves and leftover foliage from last fall.  It took me a total of 3 hours and 18, yes EIGHTEEN, black trash bags full of leaves to get my tulip and iris gardens looking like this.

Gardening 012

Gardening 013

Gardening 014

On the opposite side of the house I have a long flower bed that houses my peonies, red hot pokers, irises, hyacinths,  and random flowers that pop up when I throw seeds out there in mid-May.

Gardening 020

I’ve wanted and herb garden forever.  I don’t know what makes me want herbs so.  This is THE year.  I’ve decided to turn our front porch (nobody uses that entrance) into my container herb garden.  Here’s what it looked like to start with.  Before you know it, it will be full of culinary and medicinal herbs. 

Gardening 016

It’s still too early here to put my herb plants outside.  However I did purchase parsley, pineapple sage, chocolate mint, lavender, thyme, cilantro, stevia, chives, lemon balm and rosemary plants this week.  

This cute little bakers rack has been hiding in my basement for years.  I’m not sure where it came from to be honest.  It was dull and rusted, so I decided to liven it up with some bright spray paint.

Gardening 010

I’ll put this to the right of the front door and put some flower boxes on the shelves to house some edible flowers.

Finally, the girls and I did a little recycle style gardening.  We used an egg crate and a cake cover to make a miniature greenhouse for marigolds.  After we watered the soil thoroughly, we placed the lid on top and Lindsey put the little greenhouse outside in the sun.  Once the marigolds  are big enough, they’ll be planted in the vegetable garden to ward off bugs.

Gardening 025

Gardening 026

I also purchased horseradish root, ginger root, garlic and red onion sets. Those have been planted in one of my small back yard gardens.  We also planted spinach, lettuces and beets this week.  I can hardly wait for things to start sprouting!

Have you started any gardening yet?

1 comment:

Buckaroosmom said...

Such energy you posess; I love the idea of the egg carton planter and of course you know you painted the bakers rack the absolute right color! <3<3<3