Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Stumbling on Open Ground

No matter who you are, cancer is horrible.  I’ve lost family members, friends and the child of a close friend to this monster.  My heart goes out to anyone who has to endure the torturous “treatments” that go along with cancer, including author Ken Mansfield, for the nightmare he went through not once but twice.

Having said that, the book Stumbling on Open Ground was really disappointing.  There was some insight into his life, but in a superficial sort of way, not that I was looking for gruesome details of his sickness, treatment and side effects.   The author, Ken Mansfield, spent a great deal of the book dropping names of famous people and reminiscing about his days at Apple Records. 

The opening prelude discusses the murder of John Lennon and goes on to say that “This shattering moment was our generation’s 9/11.”  I’m sorry, but there is a vast difference between John Lennon being shot and the terrorist attack on 9/11.  Truthfully, I was annoyed from this point on in the book.

Each chapter has an opening letter from Mansfield’s wife Connie.  Her few brief paragraphs give more information than his pretentiously wordy writings.  Even the prayers that he shares appear to be scripted and unreal.  But, maybe he really does start a prayer off with “I beseech thee to heal me.”

It’s not all bad.  I do like that he continually points out that he and his wife continued to trust God and grow in their spiritual walk.  There are lots of scripture references throughout the book as well.  Mansfield also gives a tithe from the proceeds to Mercy Ministries.  There is good to be found inside this book, I just thought it was wrapped up in too much fluff.

You can preview Stumbling on Open Ground  and it is also available through Amazon.

 

I received a free copy of this book from Thomas Nelson Publishing for review purposes only.  I received no other compensation, nor was I required to write a positive review.         

No comments: