Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What Works Wednesday–Color Coded Laundry Baskets

To me organization isn’t a hobby, it’s more like and addiction.  I like schedules, routines and things that make life simpler to maneuver through.

I hear lots of moms grumbling about doing laundry.  I really don’t mind it at all.  I’m just thankful that I don’t have to carry my laundry to the river and bang it on the rocks.

I currently do laundry on Monday and Friday.  Monday gets caught up on all the clothing from weekend activities.  Friday gets us ready for those activities again.

The girls and I work on laundry during our school time.  We lug it all to the classroom, sort it out and then throw a load in before starting lessons.  Then each load slowly moves from the pile on the floor, to the washer, to the dryer and then to be folded and sorted. 

This is where the color coded laundry baskets come in.   Olivia’s room has a lot of green in it, so she has the green basket.  Lindsey’s room is yellow, but we couldn’t find a yellow basket so she has pink.  (I never claimed it was color coordinated).   My husbands basket is the white one with the missing handles.  How does he destroy a laundry basket by simply taking clothing out of it??  I use the blue basket. 

044

We fold and sort laundry as it comes out of the dryer.  You’d be surprised how much better it goes if you do it right away.  I’ve never understood the logic behind leaving it for a couple of days to fold.

With everyone having their own basket it’s easy to get everything to the right person, the first time.  This system cuts down on the number of times each item is handled.   Then when all the laundry is finished the baskets are deposited onto the owners bed to be put away properly. 

The empty basket then goes into the bottom of the owner’s closet to swallow up dirty clothes again.   It’s not rocket science, but its just a little something that works for me.

Linking up to What Works Wednesday.

No comments: