Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Surprise!

We had heavy rains last night, and apparently some pretty strong winds too.  I must have slept really good, because I didn’t hear the wind or the rain.

I woke up around 7:30am and staggered bleary eyed through the house to open the sun porch windows.   When I opened the windows on the front of the sun porch I was shocked to see this…

004 

This lovely ornamental cherry tree USED to stand in my front yard.  Apparently that wind was pretty impressive, huh?   The tree had the house on one side, the car on one side and the van on the other side.  Thank God the tree fell into the only open area around it!

002 I stuck Lindsey in the photo to give you a little idea of the size of the tree.  Notice the car to the right in the photo, and the house to the left.  I was standing at the van when I took this photo, so that gives you a good idea of what damage could have happened if not for the Lord’s protection over us.

006

This next photo I find most interesting…

007
This is the base of the tree, totally rotted out below ground.  The wind snapped it off right at ground level.  What I find most interesting, is that the tree is (or was) full of leaves and berries.  It gave every appearance of being healthy and thriving, but on the inside it was rotten and dead.

How many times have our lives mimicked my tree?  On the outside we’re looking good.  We have the right job, house, car, friends and can even throw around the right Christian phrases.   By all appearance we’re healthy and thriving.

Then suddenly the storms of life hit and cut us to the ground, because there was no life force flowing through us.

John 15:5 “ I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.”

The winds of revival are starting to blow; so are the winds of adversity.  Get connected, stay connected!

4 comments:

Donna said...

Good Word!

Jolanthe said...

Wow, Joesette! Thank the Lord for His protection over you all...even when you were unaware that you needed it. :)

Amy said...

Yes they are!!! Thanking God for his protection over you and for having you (and your family) in my life during this time! Let me know if you need anything. (Amy)

Julie said...

awesome how you took a not really cool situation and used it to teach Word and glorify God...awesome, Josette!