Sunday, April 18, 2010

Blasted Squirrels!!

Squirrels are so cute, and entertaining when you see them frolicking in the park and the woods.  When they invade your flower garden, they quickly become a walking disaster area.

I’ve found that they LOVE my tulips.  They have literally stripped the petals off of every tulip in two of my gardens.  (Possibly more, but I didn’t make it around to the side gardens today to investigate.) 

Another fun activity for the blasted creatures is upending my hens and chicks (plants, not the animals).   I’ve replanted them, moved them to another flower bed, and now have them in a container on the back patio, all to no avail.

I have it on good authority that the little destroyers don’t like the smell of mothballs.  So tomorrow I shall be purchasing mothballs in bulk and putting them in ALL of my flower beds at 10-12 inch intervals.

I shall let you know if this trick works.  If not, my next step will be high doses of cayenne pepper throughout the gardens.  I’ve heard that squirrel gravy is tasty…it would be a frugal option I suppose.

No comments: