Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Snacks in Tight Times

My husband had surgery last week. He's doing great! His doctor released him to go back to work on light duty, but his employer won't honor the work restriction, so he's off work until the doctor gives him a full release. The post-op visit is the Friday after Thanksgiving, and we're believing he'll be able to return to work the following week.

In the meantime, our well stocked pantry is a welcome sight. People laughed when I'd spend an extra $10 here and there to get extras on sale, or when I'd buy extra toilet paper and toiletries. Now that we have no finances coming in, the validity of preparedness has made an impression. Just like in Biblical times, God directs His people to prepare in the good times for the lean times.

Anyway, this week is our monthly homeschool activity day. I teach a group of 9-11 year olds and snacks are a very important part of their day. So I googled some things I had on hand and found a REALLY good recipe for cookies. I thought the name was a bit of a stretch, then after they came out of the oven and my husband and I consumed several I realized that it really is a correct title.

Addictive Oatmeal Molasses Cookies

1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
6 tablespoons molasses

Combine first eight ingredients in a bowl and mix well. In a separate bowl, cream together the remaining 4 ingredients. Combine dry mix with creamed mixture and mix well.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet and bake at 325 for 12-15 minutes.

No comments: