Thursday, October 1, 2009

First Frost of the Year

We had our first frost this morning. It wasn't too heavy, but still it was frost. So today I went out and picked the last of the veggies out of the garden. There were six eggplant, 20 bell peppers (about the size of a lemon) and a TON of green tomatoes. I know we'll be having eggplant Parmesan this week, and probably bratwurst with peppers and onions. But I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do with so many green tomatoes. We'll of course have some fried green tomatoes along with the brats.

I decided to google "green tomato recipes" and found this interesting recipe for Green Tomato Cake. It received rave reviews from everyone at allrecipes.com. So I thought I'd share it with you, in case you find yourself knee deep in green tomatoes. I'm planning to make this for a potluck this weekend, and hopefully will remember to come back and tell you how it was.

Green Tomato Cake
4 cups chopped green tomatoes
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup butter
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
Place chopped tomatoes in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt. Let stand 10 minutes. Place tomatoes in a colander, rinse with cold water and drain.

Preheat over to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9X13 baking plan.

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until creamy.

Sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add raisins and nuts to dry mixture; add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Dough will be very stiff. Mix well.

Add drained tomatoes and mix well. Pour into the prepared 9X13 pan.

Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.

Serve plain, or with cream cheese frosting.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Green tomato cake?? I'm both afraid and intrigued. Please do let us know how it turned out!!

Joesette said...

Ok gals, I tried the cake and it was TOTALLY yummie! My husband loved it! I didn't put frosting on it and it was good plain. It reminds me of zuchini bread in flavor and consistency. Give it a try!