Friday, October 23, 2009

Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl (Book Review)


I love to read! I love it even more when what I read is something that I can relate to, get the revelation of, take hold of and run with. Becoming More Than A Good Bible Study Girl is that kind of book. The author, Lysa Terkeurst is open, funny and just plain real. Here is one of my favorite excerpts from the book:
"I want to keep a great attitude, keep my schedule manageable, keep my emotions under control, and love those people closest to me like crazy. Then I pull a load of laundry out of the dryer with red splotches all over every piece of my oldest daughter's favorite clothing. Red lipstick left in the pocket of a jacket thrown into the wash at the last minute by her little sister. Mercy.


Suddenly, you'd never know I have been to church the past five Sundays in a row. My flesh just rises up, ushers my good Bible study self right our of the laundry room, and strips from my mind every verse on patience I've ever memorized. I default to acting like a crazy woman. Crazy, I tell you. And I hate that kind of crazy. It's the kind of crazy that makes me lie awake at night and vow to do better. But then it happens again and the shame, guilt and feelings of yuck make me pull back from God and deem myself a failure.

If you've ever been there, take heart. From one crazy woman to another, I can tell you there is hope. We can reset our default button, those go-to emotions that make us act crazy. Just a few shifts in perspective, and some new Biblical thought patterns can make a big difference. An everyday difference. Ready to start learning what to do when your uglies come out, when you loose your groove, and when God hurts your feelings? Me too."

You may be asking why on earth I like this particular excerpt so much. Well...ehem...because earlier in that same day, I'd had one of those "crazy" moments. Although, for the life of me, I can't at the moment recall what prompted it, but I know it was crazy and uncalled for. Yet there in the middle of this book was this total stranger explaining exactly how I felt...and then giving me input as to how to correct it. No condemnation, no "I certainly would NEVER act like that because I have arrived" attitude. Just real.

And then I read this, and I'm quite certain an angelic choir began to sing as the burden of vision casting was removed from my shoulders:

"There is a significant difference between revelation and vision. Vision is something people produce; revelation is something people receive. Leaders can dream up a vision, but they cannot discover God's will. God must reveal it."

Give me fresh revelation Lord, not stale man made vision!

Lysa Terkeurst is the President of Proverbs 31 Ministries and author of 12 books, (including a Gold Medallion finalist and People’s Choice Award finalist) and numerous magazine articles. She has told her remarkable life story on national television and radio, including Oprah and Good Morning America. She lives in North Carolina with her husband and five children.


I received this free product to review by Zondervan. All opinions expressed in this post are mine. I was not compensated for my review.

No comments: