Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fall Is In The Air

It's mid-September, but fall is definitely here. The days are getting shorter. The nights are getting cooler, and believe it or not, the leaves are starting to change already!



I love this time of year! It's nice to get outside and enjoy the cooler days. I love to leave the windows open at night and hunker down under the blankets to sleep. My mums are blooming and most of my garden has stopped producing.

Another thing I love about fall is making soup and chili in the crock pot. I love the smell, and the hearty meals that just seem to prepare themselves as I bustle about my busy day. I thought I'd share this weeks creation with you.



Baked Potato Soup
1cup chopped celery
1cup chopped onions
2 Tbsp. margarine
2 cans (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
3 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 can (15oz.) corn, well drained
1 can green chile's (4 oz.) well drained
1 pkg. (2 oz.) country style gravy mix.
2 cups milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese


Melt butter over medium heat. Add celery and onion, cook until tender.
Add broth; bring to a boil and add potatoes. Cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in corn and chile's. Return to a boil. Dissolve gravy mix in milk; stir into boiling mixture. Add cheese, cook and stir until cheese is melted.

So right about now, you SHOULD be asking "what about the crock pot?" Yeah, well what I usually do, is dump everything in the crock pot except for the cheese...then I just let it cook. I add the cheese about 30 minute before I plan to serve it. I also normally add cooked bacon to the pot as well. If you have a lot of broth in your soup, you can always mix up some dumplings and drop them in after the cheese is melted.






No comments: