Friday, September 4, 2015

Double Digits

Labor Day weekend 2005 went down in history as Hurricane Katrina bore down on New Orleans and unleashed it’s wrath.   The nation sat glued to the t.v. watching the ever worsening news reports.

Far away from the devastation of Katrina, I was giving birth to Lindsey.   Like Hurricane Katrina, she came into the world packing a punch and forever changing things, but for the better.

When I first arrived at the hospital, my contractions were less than 2 minutes apart.   The labor & delivery nurse assured me that I was not in labor because “women in labor aren’t smiling and happy like you are.”  I assured her that I was truly in labor, and that if need be I could quickly change into her worst nightmare to prove my point.     Once she hooked me up to a contraction monitor and saw the contractions maxing out, she exclaimed “Oh my God, you ARE in labor!”    Really??  Who knew (besides me, ahem).

My midwife arrived within minutes, and less than an hour later our 8lb. 11oz spitfire made her grand appearance…without an epidural or even a Tylenol. 

With a head full of black curly hair and a dark complexion, this butterball stole our hearts. She was a quiet baby…then at 12 months she started speaking in complete sentences and quite frankly, she hasn’t shut up since.

Lindsey

I’ll never forget Olivia’s reaction to her sister.   For the first day, including all the way home she kept pointing at her asking “What’s that?”   I responded with “That is your first life altering experience.”  Truer words were never spoken.

Sept4

Today, Lindsey turned ten.   TEN.  Where did those ten years go?   That black haired, dark complexioned butterball has morphed into this light complexioned, skinny little girl with a  incredibly high I.Q., an amazing sense of humor and a heart of gold.   Sometimes we still catch ourselves looking at her and saying “what’s that?” as she comes up with some new invention, or does something bizarre.

041

This is the one that will take the world by storm.   Unlike Katrina, she will leave a swath of greatness in her path, and carry others on to victory instead of destruction.

Happy birthday Lou-Lou-Who!

No comments: