Friday, July 17, 2015

Mid Summer’s Garden

We’ve had an unusually wet July and my vegetable and flower gardens are loving it.  Unfortunately, so are the weeds, ahem.   Thankfully, we had a break in the rain and the miserable humidity this week and I was able to spend several days working in the great outdoors.   Everything from pruning hedges, weeding flower beds and mowing the yard and the neighbors yard happened this week.

Here’s a peek at some of the lovely flowers that are currently in bloom.   My hollyhocks and sunflowers are a lovely contrast in color.  This is the view right outside my sunporch.

010

My cone flowers (Echinacea) have managed to hop from one bed to the other this year.  I’m not sure how they managed to move so far from where I’d planted them, but they seem to be more happy in their new home.

013

My gladiolas are sparse this go around, but the ones that survived are lovely indeed.

014

I’m not a huge fan of yellow, but I love black eyed Susan’s and they add a lovely pop of cheeriness among my purpley garden.

015

The last of the day lilies are fading, but here’s a lovely orange/red one that I just love.

017

Now let’s move over to the veggie garden.  Our yellow squash have mass produced this year, and the butternut squash looks even more prolific!   There are lots of tomatoes on the vines, but they have not ripened yet…I.can’t.wait!

023

019

020

Another grouping of sunflowers stands guard over the garden.   I love seeing these sunny faces from my kitchen window.

021

I hope you are enjoying the fresh summer produce.  Even if you can’t grow your own, try to find a farmer’s market and taste the difference, you’ll be glad you did!

No comments: