Saturday, January 17, 2015

Crockpot Applesauce

The apples that we picked in October were starting to get a little wrinkly already. I decided to make homemade applesauce so that we wouldn’t lose the investment of time and money that was already in the apples.

I gathered a good amount of apples in my basket, hoping it was about four pounds, I’m sure it was more.

003

The amount of apples above, filled up my crockpot pretty well.

009

Which in turn cooked down to one large serving bowl and a smaller bowl full of warm, yummy applesauce.

010

The original recipe is as follows:

4 pounds tart apples
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup water
1tbsp. lemon juice

Peel, core and slice apples thinly, or cube.   Place all ingredients in the crockpot on high for 3 hours.  For smoother applesauce, blend/mix after cooking.

I tweaked the recipe a bit adding some nutmeg and brown sugar as well.    

The goal was to eat some, and freeze the rest.  Unfortunately, it was devoured pretty quickly. The whole batch lasted 2 days.  Yummy!

No comments: