Sunday, December 18, 2011

Missing in Action

Some of you may have noticed that I haven’t been posting a great deal recently.  (If you haven’t noticed, then let me keep my little fantasy alive in my mind will you?)

I have some really good reasons for my absence, I really do.  First of all for the first time in over 8 years I’ve gone back to work full time, on THIRD shift.  Yes, I go to work at 11pm and get off at 7am the next day.   Except on those days where they schedule us 12 hours and I go in at 7pm…. or on those days where a meeting/training session is scheduled for 7am and I don’t get off until 8am or later.   Oddly, when I took this job, one of my questions was “do you work a lot of overtime?”…..needless to say someone told me a big old fat fib.   Basically, I’m averaging 48-56 hours a week…at night while the world slumbers.

I’m still homeschooling and doing all the other things I normally do (albeit, maybe not as well as before).  On an average day I get 2-3 hours of sleep.   Yesterday, after being up for 32 hours straight I slipped into a 12 hour coma…so I should be good to go for a few days.

In addition to that crazy schedule, the girls have been super busy with all things Nutcracker.  The week of November 28 there were practices every night, several hours in length.   The week of December 5 was stage week.  Between the girls practices, and my working backstage we logged in a total of 22 hours of practice (yes in addition to the 56 hour work week).   December 10 and 11 was show time.   Two performances on the 10th, and 1 on the 11th.   If you go to my homeschool blog Learning Curve you can see the girls in their costumes.  Olivia was a mouse and a baker and Lindsey was the naughty Gingersnap.

This week was the end of Awana and the last Activity Day get together for this year as well.  Yesterday we finished ringing the bell for the Salvation Army for the year, so I am commitment free until January! 

This week, we’ll focus on making cookies, fudge, peanut butter balls and all sorts of goodies.   We’re a bit late on getting started, but I’m sure you can understand why.   We’ll be elfing people by the end of the week, I hope.

The goal is for me to work 8-12 months in order to replace the 2 vehicles we have.  Both vehicles are over 190,000 miles, and all those little quirky things are starting to go wrong…you know, windows work some days and not others.  The AC quit working long ago in the van, so on days when the windows don’t work and it’s hot you can’t drive without having a heat stroke.

So just try to be understanding for a bit.  I haven’t forsaken my blog, or my readers.  I’ve just forsaken sleep….sigh.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I understand that working while the rest of the world is sleeping, that is the way I work most of the time. You just have to remember that if you don't take care of yourself, you won't have anything left to take care of everyone else. Good luck with working and homeschooling, and have a Merry Christmas!
Linda
Working,homeschooling an "only", and managing to juggle it all, as long as you don't ask me to be my kid's creative writing tutor! (Ok, I'm still figuring out that juggling thing!)

Jolanthe said...

I was wondering...where are you working?? And I pray you get DEEP rest during the times that you are able to lay down and sleep. Love you girl!