Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Raising Hell (Book Review)

 

rh_thumb

When author Julie Ferwerda contacted me about reviewing her newest book I was a bit hesitant.  Why?   Because in her new book “Raising Hell”, Ferwerda attempts to prove that there is no hell.  Yeah, seriously.

Ferwerda says “I spent months researching before I finally came to the overwhelming conclusion that the teaching of hell, as in the doctrine of eternal torment, is simply a “tradition of men” that had pagan origins and eventually worked its way into Christianity through the Latin church, several centuries after Christ.”

My Thoughts:

Sorry, I’m not convinced. Blame my Pentecostal church upbringing if you must.  If we were/are in need of a savior, then there must be something to need saving from.    Julie’s biggest proof is erroneous translation from language to language throughout the years.  Granted there probably has been some error in that area, but if we start picking apart everything with what could have, should have, might have, maybe didn’t, we’ll change the Word so much that we won’t know what it’s about anymore.

While I don’t agree with Julie’s idea that hell doesn’t exist,  I do agree with her on one very major issue.  We, “the church”, need to spend more time spreading the gospel, the GOOD NEWS.    What is the good news?  Luke 2:10-11  And the angel said unto them, Fear not; for behold I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.  For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a savior which is Christ the Lord.

We need to tell the world about God’s love for us.  His provision, His deliverance, His protection…..tell them the GOOD news and you’ll see them drawn to Him for who He is, not for an “easy button”.

If you would like to find out more information about author Julie Ferwerda, or her book Raising Hell you can go to her websites by clicking on the links above.

  

Disclosure:  I was given a free copy of this book for review purposes only.  The thought and opinions herein are strictly my own.  I have received no other compensation for my review.

No comments: