Thursday, May 19, 2011

God Cares About Lettuce

Last year, Lindsey invited a friend to go to Awana with her.  This friend had been asking her single Mom to take her to church, but the Mom had been raised Catholic, and didn’t quite agree with it all.   So when Lindsey invited her, a God kind of snowball began to take shape. 

They started attending the church that hosts the Awana program.  They became involved in one of the small groups and I could see a big change in the Mom and the child.  But, the Mom had questions that nobody at church took the time to answer.  She started to miss more often than attend….she fell through the cracks.  

I’ve been working with her on my own, outside the confines of the “church” walls.   She’s growing…but doesn’t have a strong support system.

Tuesday night, I sent her a message on Facebook…”Hey, this may sound stupid but…..do you NEED lettuce?”

She responded:  “Why did you ask about lettuce?”

Me, feeling a bit stupid right about then said “Well, because my garden is out of control and I have more lettuces coming in than we can eat.  And…well I felt like I should ask you about lettuce.”

Her response was almost instantaneous.   “OMG!  My office is having a luncheon Thursday and they asked me to bring salad for everyone.  But I don’t have the money to go buy salad for that many people…..”

Long story short…Wednesday night at Awana I gave her 2 gallons of lettuces, endive and spinach.   Enough to feed her office and then some.

With tears in her eyes, she said “Who would think that GOD would care about something as simple as LETTUCE?”

“God cares about YOU…the lettuce was just his way of showing it.”

1 comment:

Jolanthe said...

AMEN!!! I love that we serve a God who cares about the little details in our life...even down to a leaf of lettuce. :)