Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Tea and Friends

I’m a tea gal.   Not just sweet tea (although I love sweet tea).  I love tea THINGS.  Teacups, teapots, tea cozies etc.   I even have a silver charm bracelet that is heavily laden with little cups, saucers and spoons.  I love tea itself, it’s comforting, relaxing and inviting.  Having someone over for tea, or going out for tea seems so much more grown up and proper than grabbing a cup of coffee on the go.

Now, having said that, I’m very much a tom-boy.  Before having children, I was heavily involved in motorcycles with my brother.   He’s a biker/preacher and I used to travel around the country with him to all sorts of biker events.  I don’t think he’s ever gone to tea with me though…hmmm.  Anyway,  I’m one of those multi-faceted folks; with lots of interests that seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I have friends from the various interests as well.   One of my dear friends, Janet (whom I’ve never met in person) is a lovely tea lady from Texas.  I miss Texas, I haven’t been there since the last Eagle Mountain Motorcycle Rally was held in 1999 I believe. Sorry, rabbit trail…

Janet has a lovely site that called Let’s Have a Tea.   I love looking through all her info, trying her recipes and hearing about the wonderful tea parties she has.  I secretly live vicariously through her as I sip on my dull cup of Lipton’s and hold my pinkie out ever so uppity.

Unfortunately, both in Texas and Virginia it has been HOT….triple digit hot…melt the makeup off your face while walking to the car hot.  So really, who wants hot tea, right?  Janet graciously sent me this lovely recipe for a nice crisp cold tea.   

Janet’s Green Citrus Tea

6 cups water
7 green tea bags
3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup lime juice (or you could use fresh orange juice)

Bring water to a boil, add tea bags and remove from heat.   Allow tea to steep for 2 minutes.  Remove tea bags and add sugar (adjust to your own sweet tooth).   Bring tea to room temperature and then add lime juice (fresh or concentrate).  Chill overnight and enjoy!

No comments: