Wednesday, May 19, 2010

In the Garden

Last summer I started my flower garden(s).  I have had so much fun experimenting with different perennials.  I’m amazed at how quickly some of them spread, multiply, and need to be thinned, moved or shared.

I ended up with 3 different colors of spiderwort.  Dark purple, light purple and white.  All are in separate flower beds and are blooming beautifully!

003

The rhododendron that was here when we bought the house finally bloomed!  It’s a beautiful white bloom that is very striking against the dark green leaves. 

001

These capon roses (I think) are gorgeous!  The fuchsia is such a vibrant color.

018

Irises are blooming in lots of different shades of purple!

014

Lamium, lambs ear, sweet williams, peonies and red hot pokers are also adding bursts of color throughout.

In total, I now have 3 large flower gardens to the right of our house; 1 large, long garden to the left of the house; 5 medium sized gardens in the backyard and a shade garden starting by the driveway.   Nothing like working in the dirt!

As if that isn’t enough fun, it finally stopped raining long enough for me to get our vegetable gardens planted!  Corn, green beans, peas, onions, tomatoes, peppers, lettuces, eggplant, broccoli, cabbage, zucchini and yellow squash are all planted.  I’ve been harvesting lettuce for a couple of weeks now and it’s so yummy!

I also started a small strawberry patch….but the squirrels apparently like those.  So, I’ll have to build some type of covering for that area for next year.

Finally, asparagus!  Meaning, I finally got it planted.  In three years, I should be harvesting it!

No comments: