Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Friendship for Grownups (Book Review)

Friendship for Grown-Ups

Former Facts of Life star Lisa Whelchel shares her experiences of growing up without true friends and how she learned to find and develop them as an adult through God's grace.

Not many people can say they lived their most crucial developmental years on the sound stage of a wildly popular TV show. But that's exactly what happened in Lisa Whelchel's life. As a child, she learned to guard her heart so tightly to avoid true hurt that she found herself unable to form lasting friendships as an adult.

Friendship for Grown-Ups details her experiences of learning to come out of her shell, to trust, risk, and become vulnerable by God's grace and find meaningful friendships. Readers encounter her captivating story and refreshing perspective on life's most precious gift—and they find practical tips for their own friendships along the way.

First let me just say, that I am NOT a touchy feely kind of gal, nor do I fit the “emotional female” stereotype. I say this, to warn you that my review is probably drastically inhibited by those factoids.

So the fact that the first lesson in this book is, and I quote “It is Okay to be needy” was a big turn off to me.  Needy is not something I find at all appealing (unless I’ve given birth to you and you’re still young-ish).

However, after bypassing all the needy, clingy issues (makes me cringe just to think about it) I did find some nuggets here and there.  Topics such as determining which friends are safe with what types of personal information; conflict management and a look at varying types of friendships appear to be helpful.

Also included in the book are:
~Questions for Reflection or Discussion
~ Appendix One: You Gave Me a Friend
~Appendix Two: Practical Steps for Developing and Growing Friendships
~Appendix Three: Conversation Prompts

I’ve read Lisa’s books in the past, and for the most part have enjoyed them.  This particular one left me feeling glad that it was a free book for review, and not one I’d purchased.

 

Disclaimer:  I received a free copy of this book for review purposes.  I received no other compensation.  The thoughts and opinions in this review are strictly my own.

No comments: