Friday, January 1, 2010

I've Watched...and Learned

This has been a exhausting week, both physically, spiritually and emotionally. My father-in-law went to the ER on Sunday and by Monday the experts weren't expecting him to live.

God once again showed Himself strong and faithful. Just as Moses had strong men to hold his hands up during the battle; Sam was surrounded by mighty men and women of prayer as well. Our Pastor has been awesome! He made daily visits to the hospital, and sat with an unconscious stranger and prayed. God guided his steps each day, and as he was there and new complications arose he was able to pray immediately, report back to us so we'd know what battle to fight each day.

On Monday the prognosis was grim. On Tuesday evening, the night shift nurse came in and said "What have you done to this man? He's not the same person I cared for last night!! This is a miracle!"...and truly it was. It was one of those "and suddenly's" that you read about in the Bible. Sam recommitted his life to Christ this week. The man in the bed next to him asked Jesus into his heart.

New Year's Eve, my father-in-law was released from the hospital; and because of some lingering situations and some other family dynamics/dysfunctions he's come to stay with us. Lindsey was thrilled to give up her room for Grand-daddy. He's been here 24 hours, and even in that time I can see the remarkable improvements happening. I see a softness in his eyes that's been gone for a long time.

I've watched my mild mannered husband be a fierce defender of his father's dignity, and his very life this week. I've watched that same husband be humble enough to help his father get cleaned up after an "accident". I've watched my four year old fluff pillows, hold hands and ask me if I've given all the correct medications. I've listened to Olivia praying fervently on behalf of her grandfather; and watched as she wrote him a letter to explain that she'd prayed and it was all going to be alright.

I've watched my father-in-law reach for me when he was unsteady. I've seen him try to smile through embarrassment as I've helped him into clean clothes.

Through it all, I've learned a lot. I've learned that my husband is a lot stronger than I'd thought. I've learned that my Pastor will walk through the mess with you, not wait until you're on the other side of your struggle. I've learned that my children are compassionate, caring and giving. I've learned that a little love goes a long way...and that love isn't always easy, pleasant or fun.

Day 1 of 2010 has been a success....bring on the rest of the year!

No comments: