Monday, November 2, 2009

Awww Nuts!

I made a wonderful homemade pumpkin nut cake this past week. It was delish!! As I started to sprinkle the nuts on top of the batter, I had that little nudge "don't do that". I hesitated for a moment and pondered...then dumped them in and opened the oven door. The cake is now history.

However, what took a bit longer was for the effects to kick in. I've had several serious bouts of diverticulitis in the past 4 years. So there are certain things one should not eat....corn, popcorn, seeds and NUTS. Yeah...

So around about Saturday I noticed the distinctive sharp twinge in my left abdomen. I was graciously reminded of the entire "don't do that" and consequential disobedience that followed. I repented, and then proceeded to chug down several glasses of Metamucil (spread out over a couple of hours, lets I explode). I've found that typically if I notice those first twinges and follow this routine, I can flush out my system along with any developing infection and hold off a trip to the doctors office.

Quite honestly, the nuts didn't add enough flavor to really matter. The Metamucil DID have enough of a flavor and texture to really matter (gag, spit). And yet, it such a small thing, I was disobedient. Pretty sad really.

Oh, and if you're interested, here is the recipe for the cake...feel free to use nuts, unless you hear that still small voice say "don't do it".

Pumpkin Nut Cake

2 cups canned pumpkin
1 1/4 cup oil
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1tsp. salt
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup chopped nuts

1. Beat together all ingredients except nuts. Mix nuts in by spoon.
2. Pour into greased/floured 9X13 pan
3. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes

Frosting

4 Tablespoons butter
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
8 oz. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla

1. Beat all ingredients until smooth.
2. Spread on cooled cake.
3. Refrigerate.

1 comment:

first things first said...

UGH! I know how that is! I have self diagnosed IBS and I know the trigger foods I SHOULD avoid...sometimes I think it's worth the pain...until the pain hits! Sorry!!!