Monday, October 19, 2009

Popcorn Balls



According to my husband, popcorn balls are the "official" October treat for children. Who knew?? Certainly not I! Up until this past week I'd lived my entire life without ever eating a popcorn ball. However, being the loving wifey that I am, I decided to make these gooey globs of carbohydrates. They turned out very tasty indeed.

What I wanted, was a simple recipe that did not require a candy thermometer or trying to figure out when the concoction reached the hard ball stage. Quite honestly, I've yet to ever have anything turn out correctly when trying that entire "ball" stage concept.

3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup margarine
2 tsp. cold water
2 5/8 cup of powdered sugar
1 cup marshmallows
5 quarts plain popped popcorn

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the corn syrup, margarine, water, powdered sugar and marshmallows. Heat and stir until the mixture comes to a boil. Carefully combine the hot mixture with the popcorn, coating each kernel. (seriously, this is the exact way it was written in the original recipe)

Grease hands with margarine and quickly shape the coated popcorn into balls before it cools. Wrap with plastic wrap and store at room temperature.

No comments: