Saturday, October 17, 2009

Fall Activities

I believe I've stated before that I love the fall! The colors, the smells, the festivals!! Here in our area, fall is filled with craft shows, heritage festival, harvest festivals. They all have the same theme, lots of good food featuring apples (in the raw, apple butter, apple cider, apple dumplings); pumpkins (pumpkin patches, pumpkin pie, pumpkin butter, pumpkin bread) and beans. Yes beans. For some reason, at almost all of these events, there is always some group set up selling either white beans or pintos with cornbread. Good eating...but really, I can fix my own beans and cornbread at home. I digress

Another fun part of the festivals, is the children's activities and the various crafts that people make and sell. I'm always amazed at the creativity of others. On occasion, my reaction is more like "what in the world were they thinking when they made THAT?" But beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.

We recently hit a local Heritage Festival. There were lots of folks dressed in "period" costume. Although, I'm not too certain what period they were shooting for. There were lots of antique tractors, a blacksmiths group and an old timey lumber mill set up.

My girls love to go for the rides! Below is one of their favorites, a little train, made out of barrels and pulled by a tractor.


Olivia loves horses, so she's always quick to get in line for the pony rides. Lindsey has always been afraid to ride the ponies, but this year she was a brave girl. They put her on the smallest pony they had and the handler was SUPER slow and easy with her and she had a blast!


Clog dancing is another fun activity. Olivia loves it, because she's big into tap and to her, this is basically the same thing just with banjo music.

And what good is a show, without cotton candy?


No comments: