Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Melt in Your Mouth Chicken

My husband could eat chicken seven days a week and never tire of it. Asking the question "what would you like for dinner dear?" is just a formality, for I know the answer long before the question is asked. I on the other hand, have not been able to enjoy chicken since my first pregnancy (the sight, smell and THOUGHT of chicken made me toss my cookies.)

So imagine my glee to stumble across whole chickens on sale a month or so ago. Seriously, these were 3.5 t0 4.5lb. birds for under $3.00 each!! I think I snagged about 5 of them to toss in the deep freezer.

Baked whole chicken can be dry and bland, so I searched the old Internet for a crockpot chicken recipe. After all, you can put an old shoe in a crockpot and make it come out edible if need be. So surely a whole chicken must be doable, right?

Oh.my.word! We had what had to be the most delicious chicken I've EVER had! Olivia was completely amazed (she isn't big on trying new things). My husband was elated. Lindsey isn't big on meat, but she did comment that it was tasty. I LOVED IT! It was juicy and the flavors went all through the meat, not just on the skin! So here is the recipe for you to give a try.

2 tsp. salt (the original recipe called for 4 tsp. but that was a bit much)
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 onion chopped


Chop your onion place it in the bottom of your crockpot. Mix all of your seasonings and set aside. Wash your whole chicken thoroughly and pat dry. Drizzle chicken with olive oil. Rub the entire chicken with your seasoning mix. (It'll look like way too much, but keep finding places to apply it!

Place your chicken in the crockpot, breast side down on top of the onions. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours. You don't need to add liquid, the chicken will make it's own.

When the chicken is finished you can use the drippings to make an oh.so.yummy homemade gravy. Goes great on mashed potatoes.

Give it a try!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

That cracks me up! My husband would be happy if he never had to eat chicken again LOL. But he likes turkey (I know, doesn't make sense) maybe I could try this with turkey.

I'm glad your green tomato cake turned out well, I'll definitely try it.