Thursday, December 3, 2015

Corn-Flake Cookies

Every now and then I find myself with things in my pantry that I don’t normally buy.   Sometimes, I find myself needing to create a “food to share” at an event, and when the planets align and I have unusual things on the pantry, I make the best of it.

Such was the case this week, and I found out on Tuesday morning that the kids needed to take finger foods to their 4-H club meeting…on Tuesday evening.   (Gah!)  I whipped up a tasty batch of corn-flake cookies and amazed the children with it’s simplicity and taste.  I thought I’d share with you, in case you happen to have extra corn flakes to use up, ahem.

Ingredients:

1 cup corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup white sugar
6 cups of cornflakes (or Cheerios, or other cereal)

Pour the cereal in a large bowl and lay out a couple of sheets of waxed paper or parchment paper.  Trust me, you want to have this step ready and waiting.

In a saucepan, combine the corn syrup and white sugar and bring to full rolling boil (stirring constantly).   Add the peanut butter and stir until well blended.

Pour the hot mixture over the cereal and stir to combine and coat all the cereal pieces.   Try not to crush the cereal, but you do need to work pretty quickly.

Drop by the spoonful onto waxed or parchment paper.   Allow to cool completely before putting in containers.    

100_0083

You can tweak this to make it your own.  Vary the cereal, add chocolate chips, or nuts or mini-marshmallows and see what you come up with !

No comments: