Tuesday, October 16, 2012

When Your Parent Becomes Your Child ~ Book Review

When Your Parent Becomes Your Child : A Journey of Faith Through My Mother's Dementia, Ken Abraham

Two weeks before I received this book for review, my mother was diagnosed with dementia.  (As in the mother who raised me, not my biological mother.)   I thought the timing couldn’t be better than to get such a book at such a crucial time.   What it showed me was there have been so many little “quirks” that were tell-tale signs, we just didn’t have a clue.

I’ll be honest, this was a hard read.  The book is wonderfully written, but it is such a mirror of recent months and a foretaste of the road ahead that it was painful.  I found myself crying at times, and even having to put the book down and just walk away.

Author Ken Abraham did an amazing job of sharing his mother’s story.  He and his family where determined to help his mother, Ms. Minnie, keep her identity and dignity.  Through all of her decline it was amazing to read about her always remembering her relationship with Jesus.  Her heart’s desire was to be with Him.  Even in her most confused moments, she always was sure of Him.  What a testimony!  What a legacy she left behind.

If, like me, you are just starting this journey of a parental diagnosis of dementia I highly recommend this book.  It will give you such an insight into little things that the professionals may not tell you; and at the same time brace you for the cold hard facts that they will tell you.

Dementia is one of the world's fastest growing illnesses. Without a major medical breakthrough, the estimated 24 million people living with some form of the disease could easily jump as high as 84 million by the year 2040.

When Your Parent Becomes Your Child is a shining example of a family continuing to honor a parent even under the most difficult of situations.

I received this book free of charge from Thomas Nelson Publishing for review purposes only.  I received no other compensation for this review.  I was not required to give a positive review.

1 comment:

Cafe Lily Book Reviews said...

I just finished this book and felt the same as you - it was hard to read and I didn't feel hopeful or inspired. At times it scared me, knowing that I was reading a glimpse of what the future holds. There were so many similarities in the book and my situation. I did learn some tips though, and for that I am grateful.