Sunday, September 5, 2010

Signs of Autumn

It’s early September, and fall is definitely in the air.  Or at least it’s in my yard and house!   Olivia’s baseball coach brought me 3 BUSHELS of apples….yeah, bushels.  

100_3920

I’m making apple pies, apple sauce, apple butter.   If you’re in the state and need apples, drop by, I got you covered!

100_3921If you happen to have an over abundance of freebie apples, you may want to try this recipe for apple butter.

Fill a 5-quart crockpot with diced apples.  Then add:
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cloves (crushed, not whole)
3/4 cup water
dash of salt.

Mix all ingredients and cook overnight (or longer) on low.  Continue to cook until apples turn to mush and reach the desired consistency.

100_3929We bought our first load of firewood for the winter.  The girls and I made quick work of getting this stacked and under cover.  Regular little pioneers we are!

100_3928Finally, the mums are blooming!  Yeah, I know purple doesn’t make one think of autumn….but I love purple, and it’s my garden.  And yeah, my yellow mums died so this is all I have for now, k?

No comments: