Thursday, August 26, 2010

“The Thorn” – Book Review

Thorn, The, Beverly Lewis, 978-0-7642-0574-3

Lancaster County, with its rolling meadows and secret byways, may seem idyllic, but it is not without its thorns. The Rose Trilogy is the stirring saga of two Amish sisters, and the events and decisions that change their lives.

Spirited Rose Ann Kauffman has long enjoyed a close friendship with the bishop's rebellious foster son. Rose's older sister, Hen--who knows more than she should about falling for the wrong man--cautions her against him, but Rose is being courted by another, and so dismisses the warnings.

Hen Kauffman Orringer's impulsive marriage to an outsider divided her from the People, a decision she regrets now that she has a daughter of her own. As Hen struggles to reclaim aspects of Amish culture, her very modern husband pushes back, and the two soon come to an impasse. Can she find a way to reconcile her longing for the Old Ways with the life she has chosen?

My thoughts:

Believe it or not, this is the first time I’ve read a Beverly Lewis book.  I’ve always heard great things of her books, but had no first hand experience with her work.  Now, thanks to this review, I’ll have to make up for lost time!

The Thorn is a beautifully written romance novel.  Notice I said ROMANCE not SMUT!  There is a big difference!  The author does a wonderful job of intertwining (and explaining) the Amish way of life, Biblical truths and blooming relationships.  This was one of those books that I couldn’t wait to have a free moment to read.  It’s also a book I can put into our library and know that it’ll be good reading for my girls as they get older.

The Thorn is the first book in the new Beverly Lewis series, The Rose Trilogy.  The second book, The Judgment will be available in April 2011.  (I can hardly wait to get my hands on that one!)

You can order your copy of The Thorn directly from Bethany House by clicking here.

Disclosure: This product was provided to our family for free by Bethany House. Reviews and opinions expressed in this blog are my own and I have not received any compensation for this review.

 

 

No comments: