Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Baby Snakes

While my husband was mowing the yard today, he spotted a small (and I mean SMALL) snake going through the grass.  So he promptly caught and killed it.   He saved it to show the girls and I.   Lindsey asked a valid point “why did you kill a baby snake?”   “Because, baby snakes grow into big snakes.”  “Oooooh……” was her wide eyed response.

What if Christians were as diligent about the “baby snakes”?  Would children be allowed to watch and read things containing witchcraft, fornication, foul language and grisly murder scenes?   After all, it’s only a”little” fornication.   Really?  Is it only a “little” when you find out your 14 year old daughter is sexually active?  

Little snakes grow into big snakes.   They in turn reproduce more baby snakes, and so on.   Little sins, left uncorrected grow into big sins.  They in turn reproduce after their own kind.

The new in thing, with the “church” and the “world” alike is the Twilight saga.  Vampires are the “in” thing.  Born again, spirit filled BELIEVERS are flocking to the movies in droves!   Beings, who live off the blood of other humans???  Little snake, or big snake in a pretty package?

In Acts 15, the Apostle Paul was giving instruction to the gentiles who had turned to God.  Interestingly verse 20 says “But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled and from blood.”   Blood you say?  What blood does it mean?  It comes from the Greek word haima, meaning literally blood of animal or man.   Get it?

As I washed the dishes this evening, I was looking out the window and wondered how on earth did Thomas manage to see such a small snake in the grass?  I mean really, the man can’t find the milk in the fridge, and he saw a 3 inch snake in the grass from a distance.  The Lord spoke to me and said “He was watchful to protect his family.  The milk in the fridge isn’t dangerous…..unless it’s a “little” spoiled.”

WORD!

2 comments:

Dianne Vagnozzi Holecek said...

You have such a wonderful way with words!

Peggy Swink said...

Great in-sight. I, myself don't understand it either. But, then again, the people that like that don't understand my objections. I have to live according to my conscience no matter what others may think of me. I have to answer for myself. I have always been taught that we are to be different than the world. Yet, in these last days, other than professing to be a Christian , I see very little difference if any in those that claim to follow Christ and those that don't....Peggy