Thursday, December 17, 2009

Hum-bug?

One week from tomorrow is Christmas. Several times a day my kids remind me that "next Friday is Christmas". Our trees are up, Christmas cards have been mailed, the Operations Christmas Child packages are shipped and the girls presents have been wrapped. The weather forecast says we could get 6-12 inches of snow this weekend!!

Yet, it just doesn't seem like Christmas. I haven't the desire to make fudge or peanutbutter balls, or even cookies for that matter. We are supposed to ring the bell for the Salvation Army on Saturday (did I mention a BIG SNOW on the way?) So that may or may not happen since it's in the next city, about 40 minutes away.

Dress rehearsal (I might add the ONLY rehearsal) for the Christmas play is tomorrow night. Lindsey insists the song goes "Away in a manger, no CRATE for a bed..." Olivia seems happy to have a non-speaking part in the play (which still has ample opportunity for tearful outbursts).

So all the "things" of Christmas are done...or almost done, or should be done but I don't want to. But there is no sparkly, tingly feeling of Christmas. The lack of those feelings do not negate the awesomeness of Christmas and the celebration of the birth of Jesus.

I'm just not enjoying it this year. I still have about 7.5 days though...maybe it'll sneak up on me?

No comments: