Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Italian Zucchini Pie





I'm slowly being overtaken by zucchini!! My gosh, I've never seen such big and productive plants in all my life! We've have steamed, fried, and baked zucchini (I feel like Forrest Gump when he and Bubba were talking about the various ways to fix shrimp).

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining! This is why we planted a garden, so we could have fresh produce for us and others. So far we've shared with 6 other families...and still there is more.
My neighbor shared this lovely recipe and it is very yummie. Doesn't the name sound grand? It's a fancy way of saying "we're having quiche for dinner"...but men generally shy away from all things quiche...so thus "Italian Zucchini Pie" works nicely as a cover up.


Italian Zucchini Pie
4 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup diced onion
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. basil leaves
1/4 tsp. oregano
2 eggs well beaten
2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tsp Dijon mustard
9-inch deep dish pie crust

Preheat over to 375. Brush pie shell with Dijon mustard and set aside. Saute zucchini and onion until tender; stir in seasonings. In large bowl beat eggs and cheese. Add zucchini mixture and mix well. Pour into pie crust. Bake for 20-30 minutes.

The recipe doesn't call for any meat in it....but after eating it, we've both agreed that some chopped ham would be a lovely addition.

Head on over to We are That Family to see what is working for everyone else this week!

3 comments:

mub said...

This looks very VERY good! My mother in law has been giving us zucchini, so I'm going to make this!

Joesette said...

Zucchini...the never ending vegetable!! I hope you like it!

Michelle said...

That sounds really yummy! I am hoping for zucchini this year!