Monday, February 18, 2013

Unglued Devotional– by Lysa Terkeurst (Review)

I have to admit, I haven’t read the original Unglued by Lysa Terkeurst.  Shocking, I know!  Therefore I can’t say yes or no as to whether the Unglued Devotional by Lysa Terkeurst is as awesome as the original.

What I can say is that I’m pretty sure Lysa bugged my house to get fodder for some of these daily devotionals.  For example, hypothetically speaking of course, “The Exploder Who Shames Herself”. Ahem.  Or how about this one, “The Root of My Rot”?   See!  It sounds like she’s been in your house too, doesn’t it?

The daily devotionals are short, 1-2 pages.  There is of course a scripture reference, and a thought for the day at the beginning of each day’s reading.  Then Lysa shows us that she’s human just like the rest of, but God still loves her and ME!  She finishes each chapter with a simple prayer like this one:

“Dear Lord, some days I just don’t feel gentle.  But I do want to obey Your Word.  So right now, I ask You to help me change my perspective and walk in the gentleness You have given me.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.”

Nothing overly profound here, just real.  Real people, living in a real world, serving a real God.  Occasionally (or more) coming unglued, but striving for wholeness through grace.

I received a free copy of this book from Zondervan for review purposes only.  I was not required to write a positive review, nor did I received any other compensation for my thoughts and opinions.

1 comment:

Jolanthe Erb said...

I'm reading the book - and have the devotional on my Kindle. One would think I would remember to read the devotional each morning. :) Still working through the book, but it is great. The devo will be great afterward as well.