Thursday, February 14, 2013

Obligatory Holidays

February 14th, the most love filled day of the year? Hardly.   Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not anti-Valentine’s Day.  I’m just not a big fan of “obligatory holidays”.   You know what I mean?   We conjure up these special days to remember, honor and lavish affection on people.  Here are a few I just don’t like and why.

1) Valentine’s Day:  Show people you love them every day.  No card or amount of roses and chocolate on February 14 with make up for being a jerk the rest of the year.  (That goes for the gals as well as the guys.)

2. Mother’s Day:  I get that you want to honor your mother…but again, that’s something you should do all the time, not just every May.   Take your mom out to dinner more than once a year folks!

3.  Father’s Day:  Please refer to #2 above, but bump it over to June.  He has enough ties, ok?  Maybe do a little fishing together.

4.  Bosses Day:  Ahem.  Really, you think he doesn’t know you talk about him behind his back at the water fountain?  Come on folks, no amount of sucking up on this one day is going to get you a raise.  Do your job to the best of your ability every day and your boss will be happy.

5.  Administrative Assistants Day:  You gosh darn better show appreciation to this person A LOT.   Your admin staff is what keeps you employed and keeps the business running.  A cheesy card and an awkward lunch don’t even come close.  Pay her/him what they are worth.

I’m sure there are other’s that I’ll think of later.  I may come back and edit my list if that happens.

My point?  Well, maybe if we would treat people special EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.OF.THE.YEAR they would KNOW that they are loved or at least appreciated.  Hallmark can’t touch that.

014

1 comment:

michelle said...

Ha! True