Monday, June 28, 2010

Sweet Pickle Relish

I have to admit that I am not a big fan of pickles, or relish.  However, when I tasted this particular concoction my mindset changed a great deal.   So I thought I’d share the recipe with you, in case you’re getting over run by cucumbers from your garden!

1 quart chopped cucumbers (about 4 medium)
2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
1 cup chopped sweet green pepper (1 medium)
1 cup chopped sweet red pepper (1 medium)
1/4 cup of salt
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon mustard seed
2 cups cider vinegar

Combine first 4 ingredients in large bowl, sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water.  Let stand for 2 hours.  Drain, rinse WELL and drain thoroughly. 

Combine sugar, spices and vinegar in a large saucepot.  Bring mixture to boil. 

Add drained vegetables; simmer 10 minutes.

Pack hot relish into hot jars; leaving 1/4 inch head space.  Tighten lids, process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.  Makes about 8 1/2 pints of relish.

No comments: